Denied boarding' is a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have confirmed reservation and have presented themselves for check-in or boarding on time and according to instructions given by the air carrier, tour operator or travel agent (if no time was indicated, not later than 45 minutes before the estimated time of departure of their flight). This definition does not cover situations where there are reasonable grounds for air carrier or their representative to deny boarding of a passenger, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation.
In case of denied boarding, passengers have right to:
- care (meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time, hotel accommodation in cases where passengers should stay one or more nights, transport between the airport and place of accommodation, two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails),
- reimbursement or re-routing,
- compensation in amount of:
- 250 EUR for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less,
- 400 EUR for all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres;
- 600 EUR for all flights not falling under (a) or (b).